Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Forty Days


Lent starts tomorrow - a forty day journey to Easter. Lent is a relatively new concept to me in some ways. I do remember it as part of my upbringing - starting with a churchy pancake dinner and hearing about how people were 'giving things up' for forty days (usually Tim Hortons), but it's only recently that I've grasped an understanding of how powerful these forty days can actually be.

At Eucharist, we're thinking of it as a climb to the mountaintop. It won't be an easy climb, but I know it'll be a good one. I'll be mapping out these forty days as a journey. Where am I now? How is my relationship with God, with others and with myself? Where do I want to be at the end of this? There are a lot of things heavy on my heart these days, and there are moments and days when I literally feel weighed down in the depths of my soul. This is not how I was meant to live, and I know that God is calling me to something bigger, lighter, more full of life. Jesus says "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" - so on that glorious Sunday in April, when we celebrate the resurrection, my hope is that I am free to do that, and understand what it means. There are a lot of specific goals and entanglements that go along with this, better shared in person I suppose, but I wanted to share at least this much because this is probably my favorite time of the year, and a lot of people don't know much about it besides the whole pancakes thing.

It starts tomorrow night - Ash Wednesday. If you feel at all like there is healing that needs to happen in your life, or that there are relationships that need to be mended, or that there is hurt that needs to be reconciled, just be open to the idea that these forty days might be the right time for that to happen.

 
(Top photos taken at the Hot Chocolate Festival in the Dundas Valley on Family Day)

No comments:

Post a Comment